Fire Station Unterbiberg, Germany
Invited concept and realisation competition, 2012
- Creation of a central community space in Unterbiberg with public and private exterior areas (Fire station plus extension with club house spaces as well as community sport and free time area).
- Clear, organised plan for short internal distances and structured orientation of functions
- Innovative Timber structural system
- Fire engine Hall as slender construction out of glue laminated timber with a translucent polycarbonate facade, flexible, extendable and transparent
- The second volume houses the functional aspects of the fire station as well as the residential and community units in a cellulose insulated timber frame. The timber shiplap cladding and timber face board lower facade create a closed building volume providing a dynamic contract to the hall.
- Economic structural system with a high degree of prefabrication possible, simple element assembly and visible untreated finishes
- Healthy interior climate through use of sustainable, natural, pollutant free materials and a diffusion open strcture
- Plus energy building with an adaptive low-tech concept
- Passive heating/climate concept, Photovoltaic panels in combination with heat pump and well insulated volume
Structural Engineer, Earth Building Consultancy
Ziegert | Seiler Ingenieure
Roswag Architekten with Ingenieurbüro Hausladen
Gross Floor Area
ca. 1.400 sq m