Qasr al-Mushatta, Amman, Jordan

The Qasr (Palace) at Mushatta is thought to have been ordered by Caliph Walid II around 743-744 AD. The Palace has a square plan of 144 x 144m with a perimeter wall, 25 semi-circular towers and a multitude of finely carved stone decorations making it one of the largest Umayyadan Palaces in Jordan. It is assumed that the construction was never actually fully completed. Its curved facade was removed in 1905 and is now on display in the Pergamonmuseum Berlin.

Client
Staatliche Museen zu Berlin

Time frame
since 2009

Structural Engineer
Ziegert | Seiler Ingenieure

Services Ziegert | Seiler Ingenieure

  • Structural/constructive investigation with attention to material aspects as contribution to complete report by Prof Dr-Ing. Johannes Cramer
  • Survey and calculation of the gateway arches, development and confirmation of constructive measures for the restoration, guarantee of buildings future safety
  • Feasibility study and FEM-Analysis for a possible Dome over the Audience Chamber as constructed during historical building phase
  • Structural planning for the rebuilding of the triple-arch facade including the required temporary support measures
  • Structural-constructive supervision and approval of the three arch façade
  • Site supervision, static testing and commissioning of the three arch façade

Architect
Prof.Dr.-Ing. Johannes Cramer, Technische Universität Berlin, Fachgebiet Bau- und Stadtbaugeschichte

 

Publication

Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz:
Wüstenschloss Qasr al-Mschatta der Öffentlichkeit übergeben

archaeologie-online:
Shared Heritage: das Wüstenschloss Qasr al-Mschatta in Jordanien
Rekonstruktion eines der größten Schätze islamischer Kunst

Federal Foreign Offices, Germany, Preservation of cultural heritage:
Qasr al-Mushatta; frühislamisches Wüstenschloss im Königreich Jordanien